The Red Hatters Converge in Austin

Last weekend I was in Austin for The Texas Red Hatters Convergence. They don't call it a conference, I guess because we are known for our "disorganization," and we were simply converging at one place to have one big party together! ha ha.
Our dance team did a routine to "The Yellow Rose of Texas." It's a good thing that Red Hatters are good-natured and fun-loving --they didn't seem to care or even notice that we didn't do it quite right. (Isn't it disgruntling when you do much better in practice than you do on the stage!) Since Wayne and Stacy live in Austin, they came by and sneaked into the room of red-hatted ladies just to watch us perform. I felt like a kid whose parents came to support me in some school performance or sports event! I learned how good it feels! I was honored that my kids came by just to watch me.
One evening's entertainment was a Fun Country Band. I was especially enthralled by one guy's instrument--it was a washboard with a woodblock, cow bell and small cymbal mounted on the top. He played it with thimbles on all his fingers! I want one of those!
See the picture of our hotel room door. Too bad we went to all the trouble to decorate our door, and then forgot to properly register our entry for the door-decorating contest! By the way, the corset we used belonged to my Grandmother!
I drove the four-hour trip from Dallas to Austin with my friend Terry. When we finally arrived at the fancy hotel, we were asked if we would like valet parking. Well, that is something Walter never uses, as he doesn't like anyone else driving his car! I looked around and saw no parking places and being so glad to have finally arrived, I said, "Yes, please." The day we left, the valet brought us our car. After loading up our belongings, Terry slipped into the passenger seat and I approached the driver's side of the car as the valet stepped out of the car. I heard Terry scream as the car lunged forward headed straight for some parked cars. The valet ran and jumped back into the car in time to avert a collision! I guess he didn't leave the car in the right gear! That was enough excitement for our trip home.

2 Comments:
Your door is wonderful, mom! And very creative. I knowyou would haev won if you had entered...
-anna
11:27 AM
we had fun with yall! also enjoyed watching the red hatters dance party convergence!
-wayne
12:19 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home